Up-to-Date for Government, Legislative, and Advocacy
Latest Advocacy News
AATC's core mission includes advocating multi-housing values on behalf of 1,800 members. As a result, here’s what your industry is talking to community leaders about today:
- The Texas Department of Housing and Community Affairs recently held webinars sharing information about the Texas Rent Relief Program. Based on comments received during the webinars, as well as through the Customer Service call center, TDHCA has updated its RA FAQ: https://texasrentrelief.com/sites/default/files/210222-TX-RentRelief-FAQ.pdf.
- The Department of the Treasury has issued updated Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) for the Emergency Rental Assistance Program (ERAP). https://home.treasury.gov/policy-issues/cares/emergency-rental-assistance-program
- President Biden extended the CDC eviction moratorium until March 31, 2021.
- The cities of Fort Worth and Arlington as well as Tarrant County have dollars available for Covid-19 related renter-assistance. Rent payments are made directly to landlords. For more information, go to https://www.aatcnet,org/coronavirus.html.
- More than 200 candidates have filed for the May 1 city council and school board elections.
- The 140-day Texas Legislature session began Tuesday, January 12, and ends Monday, May 31st. This year’s session will be dominated by two issues: the budget and redistricting. Half the Tarrant County legislative delegation are serving as committee chairs this session including AATC members Craig Goldman (Energy Resources) and Stephanie Klick (Public Health). Chris Turner (D - Grand Prairie) was appointed chair of the Business & Industry committee which has jurisdiction of all landlord-tenant legislation. Other AATC-area legislator chairs including Burns (Agriculture); Collier (Jurisprudence); Geren (Local & Consent Calendars); and Krause (General Investigating).
- Congressman Ron Wright (R – Arlington) passed away on February 8th. Ron was a long-time AATC friend. Prior to his election to Congress, Ron served as former Congressman Joe Barton’s chief of Staff; as an At-Large member of the Arlington City Council; and Tarrant County Tax Assessor.
- Arlington Municipal Summits will be held virtually this year on May 20th and June 24th.